I regularly offer workshops on:
All workshops are hands-on and are taught in small groups of up to ten, which gives the participants the opportunity to take an individual approach and gain profound knowledge of the subject.
If you want to know more about upcoming workshops or would like to take an individualized class please get in touch or visit my Facebook page.
I offer workshops in various countries. Recent workshops have taken place in Egypt, Aserbaidschan, Brazil, Spain, and the UK.
For all workshops I am offering in Brazil together with Aline Marion, please visit Espagiriaworkshops
Marquetry and Inlay Techniques
Learn how to:
- Create beautiful patterns with thin wood veneers
- Inlay other materials into wood such as bone, mother of pearl or metal
- Distinguish a great variety of different woods
- Create harmonious and striking colour compositions just with natural-colour veneers
- Create patterns and designs suitable for marquetry
- Integrate marquetry and inlay work into wooden objects like boxes, trays, coasters...
- Apply simple finishes to make your marquetry stand out!
Box Making and Finishes
Learn how to:
- Create wooden boxes from solid wood and veneers
- Produce stable and elegant joints
- Line the interior with fabric or leather
- Integrate hardware such as hinges and locks
- Apply different natural finishes like oils, waxes and shellac
I often teach this workshop in conjunction with the marquetry class. This gives you the opportunity to combine both and create a beautiful object of everyday use.
- Draw a great variety of geometric patterns by hand, using compass and ruler
- Use 'hidden' geometric grids in all fields of art and design
- Understand the symbolism behind ancient geometric shapes
- Read the underlying geometry of great works of art in architecture, painting and surface decoration
- Comprehend the philosophy and ethos traditionally associated with the practice of geometry in various cultures
These workshops I teach together with Aline Marion As Geometric Design is a very broad and rich subject,we often tailor the contents of this class to suit the particular interests of the participants. Popular topics are: Geometry in Architecture, Pattern making, Geometry in nature or 3D-Geometry.
History, Symbolism and Techniques of Muqarnas
- Identify different types of Muqarnas by their geografic region
- Comprehend the symbolism traditionally assicoated with these shapes
- Identify techniques and materials used traditionally in the creation of Muqarnas
- Understand the structure of a Muqarnas pattern through drawing and 3D analysis
- Create individual muqarnas pieces from different materials
- Compose patterns like friezes, niches and domes from these shapes
Because of the complexity of muqarnas and the practical approach taken in the class I tend to teach this workshop to smaller groups of up to 5 participants.